Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Friday, May 9, 2008

The New Hair, and Other Things

Okay, so when I got my hair cut the other day, I didn't know what a difference it would make in my daily life. I cut 6 minutes off of my shower time and 20 minutes off of my total getting ready time! So basically I have an extra 20 minutes a day to do whatever I want all because of my stupid hair! I love it!
I know that it is Friday now, but I've had something on my mind since Monday. Actually it has been on my mind every Monday since the end of February. Here's the story. Back in February, I went to visit my friend. I was just taking her a simple birthday gift. I loaded the kids in the car, dropped Tyler and Beau off at preschool and then headed to her house, and yes it was a Monday Morning. I hadn't called her or given her any kind of hint that I might be stopping by, it was just something that I needed to do (her birthday was the day before). So when I got to her house, she invited me in and we visited and she showed me around because I had not seen her new house yet, and she was totally nice to me. (I really hadn't expected to do anything more than hand her present through the door and then go home). But we had a really nice visit and then I left. Well here is the problem with the whole scenerio. If someone were to come to my house unannounced on Monday morning do you have any idea what kind of complete chaos they would find. I am reminded of this every Monday as I look at my house and I think "What were you thinking?!?" I must be the rudest friend ever. The least I could have done is called and asked if it would be ok if I just stopped by for a quick second. But no, I just went when it was convenient for me because the kids were already loaded in the car. Now I am not saying that her house was a mess or anything, because it was actually very clean and put together. What I am saying is that on Monday morning my house is a mess and there is laundry thrown everywhere and the dishes don't usually get done until after lunch, and it is usually a major clean up day. I would not be embarrassed if you came over, because that is not my style. But I probably won't take you through the house from one end to the other. Anyway, to my friend whose house I invaded first thing on Monday morning, I am truly sorry, I promise that I will call next time I stop by.
Which brings me to my final thought for the day. When I had my twins, it was necessary to wash bottles by hand in the sink. The reason, we didn't have enough bottles to get me through the day (16 per day), and I didn't run my dishwasher every day. So I began doing a sink full of dishes every day, usually twice. It sucked. Well this has continued now for 20 months. I was washing all bottles and sippy cups by hand. Then about a week ago I got real tired of it. The sippys and the bottles started to stack up, and I couldn't talk myself into filling the sink. And I noticed at one point that I needed to start my dishwasher and so I loaded them in and I started it. It was wonderful. The sink was cleaned out, and I didn't have to do anything. And the thought occured to me "Why not always load them in the dishwasher, after all what else is it for?" And so I have not washed dishes in the sink since. I don't do pans, I don't do cups, I don't do bottles. If it doesn't fit in the dishwasher for that load, I simply wait until it is done, then I clean it out and I fill it up again. Boy, if I could meet the person who invented the dishwasher, I would probably give them a big old hug and a sincere thank you.

3 comments:

Becca Hatch said...

I'm sure your friend was just happy you remembered her birthday. She didn't have to invite you in, so if she did, you can rest assured that she wanted you there. Otherwise she would have just stayed in her front door and held out her hand for the gift.

Grandma Judd said...

Sara I have baeen to your house at different times and you are ok.Don't worry about the other guy.I think you are very good mom. Happy mother's day I love you grandma Judd

Richins Family said...

Sara, I absolutely love your blog. You have to be the sweetest person I know. I love the story of the friend, and trust me she wanted you there, and I am sure she was thinking "Oh my gosh my house is a disaster, and my kids are still in their jammies". Friends are much more important than a silly house, and jammies are comfortable - sometimes I am in them until noon! Mondays are crazy for us too!! Sad thing is, I don't have twins (what can my excuse be?) Lets get together soon! Love ya, and Happy Mothers Day!