Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Thursday, September 25, 2008

So on Monday my dad was up the hills with Tom and my Uncle Bryan and got smashed up into a fence by a horse and broke some bones in his back. I heard him tell someone on the phone today that he "wasn't laid up...he could move from his bed to the bathroom and back." They were just loading the horses up to bring them home, and now here he is stuck in bed all day. I grew up helping on the farm. And I knew that it was sort of dangerous, but I don't really recall anyone getting seriously hurt all my life. I mean we got plenty of scratches and scars and we've all been chased by the mad cow that wanted to kill us, but I never thought that something like bringing the horses home for the winter was something potentially life threatening. Or like when my grandpa got hurt...his job was to stand by the fence and count the calves as they went through the gate...sounds pretty safe huh. Well apparently it wasn't. This accident (although my dad will be fine in a few weeks) really scared me. How can everything go fine all my life and now in just the last couple of years it seem so dangerous? Just some thoughts.
By the way, my sister Rose posted a pretty funny letter to the editor on her blog, you might want to link over and read it.

2 comments:

Richins Family said...

Sorry to hear about your dad! I am with you, the older we get, the more stuff we become aware of. I never thought too much about anything growing up, it always seemed to happen to someone that was far away, or someone I really didn't know, but then soon it got closer and closer to home. It gets kindof scary, but know that I am always thinking about you and yours, and if you need anything, that I am here. Best of luck to your dad!!

Kimberly said...

I wonder what the exact medical definition of "laid up" is... I thought I was laid up after giving birth, but if making it to the bathroom on your own means you are not laid up, I guess I was okay.

The thing people in San Francisco say is "he fell out!" or even better, "He done fell out!"
Which I was told means passed out or fainted. (corrected after questioning more than one 911 caller, 'fell out of what? What did he fall out of?')

Hope everyone has a speedy recovery!